This course presents the structure and control blocks of the z/OS BCP and system services. It prepares the new z/OS system programmer to identify potential bottlenecks and performance problems, perform initial error symptom gathering, and identify opportunities and requirements for tailoring an z/OS system. This course also provides prerequisite information needed for further training in specialized areas such as system measurement and tuning and system problem determination.
Training Paths that reference this course are:
z/OS Installation, Tuning, JES, and REXX Programming and Problem Diagnosis
This course is intended for:
- This basic course is for z/OS system programmers who are new to z/OS installation, customization, measurement and tuning, or problem determination are the primary audience for this course.Subsystem programmers will also benefit from this class.
This course requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
- multiprocessing, multiprogramming, virtual storage and paging, and multiple address space/data space architecture
- Explain how paging and swapping are accomplished through the interaction of real/central, expanded, auxiliary, and virtual storage in an z/OS system
- Explain the role of the dispatcher, interrupts, SVCs, the program manager, and serialization in managing work in an z/OS system
- State the role of z/OS software and hardware components in handling an I/O request for data on a direct access storage device
- These prerequisites can be met through on the job training or completion of z/OS Facilities.
- Note: A fundamental knowledge of hexadecimal notation, assembler language, and z/Architecture instruction execution will enhance your understanding of the course material. Completion of Assembler Language Coding Workshop or Assembler Language Series is recommended.
- Day 1
- Unit 1 - z/OS system introduction
- Day 2
- Unit 2 - Operating environment initialization
- Unit 3 - Task management
- Day 3
- Unit 4 - Addressability
- Unit 5 - Input/Output supervisor
- Day 4
- Unit 6 - Storage management
- Unit 7 - Recovery termination manager
- Day 5
- Unit 7 - Recovery termination manager (Continued)